Forum

Not the most exciting transfer deadline day.

Giggsy'sChestRug

03 Feb 2015 22:41

On some points I think this window, although not particularly interesting for United fans, has had some good points. LVG has cleared some of the deadwood off the wage bill. Feel bad saying that about Fletcher, although he's clearly still Premier League standard, was never going to get back to the point where he was a regular choice in the midfield. That illness took away two years of his career when he would have been at his peak. I'm a bit disappointed we never properly got to see Zaha in a red, but it has to be said I never saw anything before we signed him that made me think "we must buy him", and the same applies to his loan spells, first at Cardiff and then at Palace. But it would have been nice to judge for ourselves. As for Anderson, he's one of the biggest let downs I've ever seen in a Red shirt, after it started off so promising for him. Even as his waistline kept expanding, you still see there was a talent there. Now

Giggsy'sChestRug

03 Feb 2015 22:45

we did sign this young lad Andy Kellett on loan from Bolton. This is interesting. Never seen him play (no reason why I would, seeing as I dont watch Bolton, and he's only made a few appearances anyway) but it strikes me that it could be a win-win situation. If he's not up to the job, he'll at least have played for our reserves, and had the experience of being part of one of the biggest clubs in world football when he goes back to Bolton. If he IS up to the job, Neil Lennon has already hinted that a deal could be struck. Will be interesting to see if anything unfolds from that transfer.

GeneHunt

04 Feb 2015 19:27

I'm glad Fletcher got a move to a good Premiership club. I wasn't his biggest fan when he first got into the team, but he knuckled down and worked hard, and you know somebody is pretty good when Arsene Wenger gets pissed off with them. He was good at breaking up the play, and there is no doubt we missed him in the 2009 Champions League Final. I'm not saying we would have won if he had played, Xavi and Iniesta were magnificent that night, but from Anderson and Carrick they didn't have much in the way of opposition. Fletcher would have got in their faces, and at least made it a bit more difficult for them to dance around the midfield. You can't say what would have happened either way.

I'm certainly glad to see the back of Anderson. I don't understand how somebody is able to get into the condition he gets in, given that he would train everyday (it's not as though he sits on his arse in an office for a living). He could have been a fantastic player in my opinion, the talent was there but the commitment wasn't. I was always defending him to other United fans, telling them "this will be the year we see the best of him" and then he would get injured, and come back even fatter. It sort of tells you that Fergie bowed out at the right time, because certain obvious things were starting to escape him towards the end. After all, there was a time when no United player would have been allowed to get themselves in that condition - just ask Mark Bosnich.

Page 1 of 1