Forum

The Number 10 role

GeneHunt

30 Aug 2015 13:32

We've got very little options in terms of available strikers, but we have Mata, Januzaj, Memphis, Fellaini, Rooney and Herrera who can all play in that role. Memphis looks better as a wide player, Rooney is being deployed as a striker. LVG seems to prefer Mata out on the right, and Januzaj doesn't convince me at all. I know he only played in that role for 20 minutes against Brugges in midweek, but Herrera seems a natural in that role. I think he's our most creative midfielder in terms of looking to make things happen, and its clear that there is a good understanding between him and Mata. Would love to see him played there against Swansea. Fellaini has played well there in the past, and he certainly gives us another option, but I think Herrera is made for that role.

Danny

30 Aug 2015 13:41

It should be Mata, he was Chelsea's player of the year two seasons in a row. We bought Herrera for centre midfield, and thats where we should play him. Mata has never been given much chance there. Give Januzaj time, he will come good. He was awesome in his first season.

Giggsy'sChestRug

31 Aug 2015 13:19

Sorry Danny but I dont see it in Januzaj. Clearly he was given a contract just to ensure we didn't have another Pogba situation. Herrera wasn't great against Swansea, but neither was anyone else for that matter. Just an awful performance. Blind got exposed at the back today, as we knew he would against someone with pace and power.

TheSalmon

06 Sep 2015 17:10

I would definitely have Rooney as the number 10. He's not got the pace any more to be an out and out striker, he proved that against Swansea. Put him behind the striker and he will do lots of damage. Let's give the new lad Martial a run up front, I remember him against Arsenal last season, he's like shit off a shovel.

Danny

01 Oct 2015 18:05

Mata is playing out of his skin at the moment, but so far we've been sticking Rooney in the number 10 role, and he has been shite!

GeneHunt

01 Oct 2015 18:14

Yeah he has, but in fairness, whenever we have played Mata there, he hasn't shone either. Since LVG moved him wide right, he has excelled in that role.

Page 1 of 1